A Donkey Named Millie

When Millie, a baby miniature donkey, arrived, I fell in love at first sight.

Not only was she beautiful, with soulful brown eyes, a rich brown coat with a cross on her shoulders, and a white-nosed expressive face, but she came to me at once, and stretched up to be hugged.

I was absolutely enthralled, as were all the other humans, and at least half the other animals that live here in this very special place between Texas and Oklahoma.

Never could I have imagined that a donkey could be so intelligent, sensitive, gentle, and so full of love.

Millie is a Miniature Mediterranean donkey.  She is about 33 inches tall, measured at her shoulders… about to the hem of my jacket… and that’s about as tall as she will ever get. 

Miniature Mediterranean Donkeys are a breed of their own; not small regular donkeys, and, according to the New York stockbroker who imported the first from Sardinia, they have the affectionate nature of a Newfoundland puppy, and an intellectual capability only slightly below that of man.

During those first weeks, as Millie got acquainted, exploring this wonderland of woods, creeks, and bluffs, exchanging nose kisses with the dogs, and greeting humans with donkey hugs, I followed her around with my camera to record some of the funniest, the most touching, and the most awe-inspiring examples of animal behavior I’ve ever been privileged to witness.

I wrote about Millie in an Amazon Kindle eBook, "A Donkey Named Millie, A Valentine's Day Story". It was, during Valentine's season, for sale at the Amazon Kindle Store.

After Valentine's Day, I took the book down, and I'm re-writing it as an eBook for children.

Some of the stories are shown in this blog, "A Donkey Named Millie".

As a photo-story eBook, Millie's story can be read on most computers, using a free eBook reader that will display the photos in full color.

If you want to hear more when the book is available, please email us here:

CJ-01@cjs-easy-as-pie.com